Thursday, May 12, 2005

The End...

Well, there it goes, my sophomore year of college is over...

I have realized I get really sentimental about almost everything, so I think this little post will be purely a reflection.

It started hitting me today that tomorrow I will be back home again. The roommates I have been with for the last year will no longer be there. The apartment I am used to will be gone. Do not get be wrong at all, I love home, but still, it is just different. I was reflecting on how our roommate situation even came together. Towards the end of my freshman year, one of my roommates, Matt Hupila, and I were trying to figure out where to live. For about a month period, we had about seven different roommates who eventually all backed out on us. However, in the end, the group that was formed was pretty great. There were two guys we barely knew, Matt Hegar and Mark Anderson, and a guy I just met towards the end of freshman year, Travis Kluthe. Hupila and I really did not know what to expect. We really only knew each other. But looking back on the year now, it really was a pretty dynamic combination. Each of us brought something different to the table but we got along extremely well. I was just so surprised how laid back everything was, but at the same time, things got done. I learned a lot about myself this past year by being surrounded by people who had such different views as me. It was such a great thing, and I will really miss that this summer.

Tonight was also Lindsay Greco's birthday! I love how my hallway from freshman year works. We have always been known as "2 S" and I am proud to be a part of it. Some how, some way, we find a way to get together. I think the greatest part of our hallway was how open people were. Every time I am with the hallway, I instantly feel comfortable and able to speak my mind. It is such a great environment. I think all of us from the hallway would agree that we totally miss that environment. Again, the reason it was so great is that everyone brought something different to the table that really opened up great conversations and some funny times. One of my favorite moments was "The Prank" Evan K., Kevin, the Big O, Hupila, Shwa, and many others planned for months. It was a genius idea to use the wireless technology of a keyboard to scare the heck out of one of our friends, the unfortunate Taylor. While it was unfortunate we brought her to tears, we knew she wouldn't be mad at us and it was just a great time. Props to Taylor and the other girls in the hallway for putting up with us.

Before I forget, I wanted to give the guys in the Sanford Study a big thank you for taking Go and I out for dinner. Guys, that was really great and unexpected (even though I got an e-mail telling me the plan!) I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and will say it one last time. This year has been huge for me, I think I learned more from you guys then what I taught you. Your love for the people around you and each other is unbelievable. You guys truly blew me away and I love each of you for what you brought to study. Wow, here is a reoccurring theme, it was just dynamic to see how different each of you were, but how well you all got along. I cannot wait to see what God does in your lives!!

Other than that, I have probably spent a good 4 hours in the past 10 hours cleaning up the apartment. It being close to four in the morning, I am going to call it a day. Take care all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

josh! i'm sad i didn't get to say bye to you before you left for home. so if you're ever up here in the cities, let me know!

Josh Mathews said...

Unfortunatly, I won't be up there at all until August...but no worries...I hope your semester ended well and I am sure you will have a great summer...take care