Tuesday, August 5, 2008

35W Bridge Collapse


It has been over a year since 35W Collapsed. As some of you may know, the apartment I was living in at the time was only a block away from the bridge. The following was the monthly update letter I wrote to friends and family a few hours after the event.

Note: By no means will this be a normal monthly update

At 6:04 p.m. on August 1st, 2007, I sat in a coffee shop on 6th and University confidently discussing the joy in knowing that the God I have entrusted my life to knows what will happen tomorrow and has everything in his master plan.

At 6:05 p.m., with a few flickers of the building lights, that simple thought was amplified and scrutinized. The fall of a heavily traveled bridge produced inquiry, anxiety, wonder, helplessness, uncertainty, and sorrow.

At about 6:15, my eyes fell upon an inconceivable sight, literally one block from my apartment. The billows of smoke, sirens from every direction, crowds of people, a major highway standing vertical, and the faint site of a school bus bombarded my senses.

It is times like this that create many critical questions directed towards God, but paradoxically, leads us to ask God himself for help. In the same breath two quotes are heard: "Why would God do this?" and "Our prayers will be with the families that are suffering and the workers that have responded."

I long to believe that God has everything in control and knows what is going to happen. But I cannot comprehend then why He would let something so dramatic and destructive occur. Proverbs 3:5, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding." Too often I want to grasp an eternal, immortal, and invisible God within the boundaries and confines of my limited, tangible, experiential mind.

Friends and family, you may wonder what the purpose/point is in this rambling? The brevity of life is magnified when seemingly inconceivable events occur in your own front yard. The hope is that, although many of you may have slim to no ties to "35W," you know "94," "90," "55" and "400." You can attempt to relate and understand.

In this process, my longing is that each of you deeply comprehends and contemplates the uncertainty in a seemingly routine daily life. Inevitably, we will all face death, whether dramatically or naturally, surprised or expected.

At 2:49 a.m., as I near the conclusion of these words, all my strength and hope stems from one avenue, Jesus.

Each of us is destined to drown in the sea of hell as the proper consequence of our sin. Will you and/or have you grasped the soul-preserving hand of Jesus, who died on the cross to be in a position to offer eternal life?

Josh
08.02.07

0 comments: