Saturday, May 27, 2006

Welcome to the South

It has been quite a long time since I have posted. So much has occurred the last few weeks that it is difficult to figure out where to start.

Junior year of college is done. In retrospect, I saw many things that were so difficult throughout the year, but at the end, it was all worth it. Really, isn’t this how the Christian life seems to be. Struggles, challenges, temptations and difficulties are common parts of staying in step with the example of Jesus Christ. However, the ultimate end glory, eternity with Him, will be worth it.

In about a week span, I have gone from being in the midst of studying for finals in Minneapolis, to being at home in Kenosha, Wisconsin, to being in Alpharetta, Georgia for an internship. It really does seem like a huge whirlwind of weather, emotions, and environments. But I officially do know that I am in the south with the numerous Sonics, Waffle Houses, and just good ol’ southern hospitality (and all the “y’all’s” I keep hearing).

For the next 10 weeks I will be doing an internship at a church in Alpharetta named North Point. It is a pretty large church and my perspective on ministry has already started to change a little bit. It is so interesting to see the differences between what I have been used to my whole life, as far as church, and now see a totally different perspective, a good one at that.

In the past, my perspective of ministry and reaching people was one of direct contact and relationships. But being part of a ministry that has so many facets, it has been sweet to see how heart change really occurs on many other levels.

On the flip side of the internship, there are 40 some other interns, mostly from Georgia and other states in the south. I am realizing how different I am in simply the way I talk and do things. At the present time, it is so interesting to be in a place where I really do not know many people or have established contacts. The situation is quite different from home or college, but at the same time exciting.

That is it for right now. My mind for some reason has found difficulty in processing all the information and situations that have been experienced. Hopefully in due time, these things will come into an organized sequence of maturity and understanding.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I've just started listening to podcasts by Andy Stanley and North Point Ministries... I didn't put the two together until now! That's awesome that you had your internship there... so far I think his teachings are pretty incredible!